Online delivery services have become more common as many vendors seek to stay in business within the social distancing guidelines put in place to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Most of us are now ordering our essential shopping, including food and veggies from vendors online. Even with this, we all need to practice high hygiene standards. Here are some tips to observe when ordering for food items online:
- As you are making your order, it is advisable to select a payment option that does not involve physical contact with the delivery partner through the exchange of cash. Also be sure to give precise location details, to reduce your chances of going where there are other people.
- Once the delivery partner arrives, ask them to drop off the items at a safe distance (1.5m away or at the gate), or wear a mask as you go to meet them to receive your order.
- Pay for your order through one of the various options provided by the vendor’s platform and refrain from using cash. You can also tip the delivery partner using the various payment options e.g. MPESA or Bank transfer, once he shares his details.
- Wear gloves or sanitize your hands before you receive your package and wipe products that have boxes or cans with a wet cloth with some soap as you offload and put them in the house/office.
- For fruits and vegetables, wash thoroughly with veggie soap or mix a solution of 1 cup vinegar to 4 cups water inside your spray bottle, then add a tablespoon of lemon juice then wash. Wash the vegetables and fruits outside to avoid droplets falling on clean dishes in the Kitchen.
- Dispose of bags then wash your hands and dishes used thoroughly with soap.